Saturday, January 16, 2016

Week dos summary

This week I was joined by a group of about 20 nursing students from Minnesota. Two of them lived in the house with me, which was nice to have other people to hang out with during the evenings. [By the third week, an undergrad student joined us from New Mexico. It was basically a sorority house!] I also felt more comfortable going out later at night now that I had other people (at no point did I ever feel unsafe while in Oaxaca per se, but better super safe than sorry). There is a nice amount of night life concentrated on one block and a large amount of people out and about at all times, which added to our fun (and safety).






 On Saturday, I took a bus to Monte Alban. One of the larger, popular ruins about 10K from the center of Oaxaca. I decided not to use a tour because I wanted to be able to visit at my own pace. The place was absolutely breath taking and I definitely recommend it. The views are spectacular and the rich history is mind-blowing. They also have a museum with a cute cafĂ© overlooking the mountains. ! The bus and entrance didn’t cost much and gives you two hours before picking you up, which is plenty of time. Do it, do it, do it!!!

Side note: while at Monte Alban, a man decided to give me a "personal tour" and shared some interesting history with me. This was nice until he wanted to lead me to unpopulated areas and I decided that is not how I wanted my trip to Mexico to end. The message here is it's fine to travel alone as long as you always remember: safety first!

No comments:

Post a Comment